The Pigloo Forums Forum Index The Pigloo Forums
"It's Dot Com!"

Pigloo.net Home   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rabbit Sophia has a cut

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cavykatie
fweep fweep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Rabbit Sophia has a cut Reply with quote

I was trying, stupidly, to cut a mat out of my rabbit Sophia's fur when she jumped a little bit. I looked and I found this:

In this one I am not pulling the fur back:

In this one I am:

I don't know if I did it all or if it was already there. But, there was almost no blood at all. Maybe a drop. It seems like the mat took some skin with it. I put some antibiotic cream on. I don't know how to attach a bandange if any and I'm trying to figure out if I need to go to the vet. What does everyone think? Does she need stiches? She's hopping around like she's ok, but I feel so terrible. I must have cut her skin :-(.
cavykatie
fweep fweep

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel sooo bad. I'm freaking out.
bhiggs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH geez! Dont feel bad, it was an accident. I would go to the vet, just to be safe. She probably doesnt need stictches and you'll just have to keep an eye on her so that she doesnt develop an abcess. I'm sure it can wait until tomorrow, so you dont have to necessarily get to the emergency vet, but for peace of mind I'd have it looked at.

I'm so sorry, I know how you must be feeling! I'm sure everything will be just fine.
cavykatie
fweep fweep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it still looks bad on Monday I will call the vet, but right now all that's available is the super-expensive emergency vet. I'll post updates. I talked to Mab, and she thinks I just cut the top layer of skin, which is why it didn't bleed. I still feel bad, but not as bad as before :-).
bhiggs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good. I'm glad you talked to Mab. The cut really doesnt look bad to me, but I have no experience in medical anything. I just know a bunny abcess is a really sucky thing, so just keep a good eye on it (I KNOW you will anyway!)
jul_312

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably try and clip some of the fur back around the wound to keep it from matting in the wound, then just give it a good cleaning with something like chlorhex. or diluted betadine solution, and put the AB ointment on it.

If, on Monday you think she needs to see the vet, then take her, but I'm willing to bet it will be healing pretty good.

I know your feeling. I accidently did the same thing, the same way, to my dog who had a huge knot in his fur, right under his ear. OUCH!!

I'm sure the buns will be fine.
cavykatie
fweep fweep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again all, here's an update. I put a dime next to it for reference:

Here's the first pic I took this morning. Looks like some cottage cheese like formed. Is it pus? I know someone mentioned rabbits forming a cottage cheese like pus, but does that mean infection? How could it already be infected, oy. I poked at it a little, hence the uneven spot:

I cleaned it out, here:

And then I VERY CAREFULLY trimmed the matted fur and some edges around it. (So careful!):

Where the dime is is where the mat was. Sophia is being a very good patient. She begrudgingly lets me hold her on her side so I can treat her. She even lets me hold it under the faucet to flush the wound. I think I will try to put a bandage on it and hope she doesn't rip it off.
cavykatie
fweep fweep

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked Stella, Sophia's sister for mats and just like Sophia there were a bunch of little ones by the hind legs and tail. What struck me as odd was this:

It's in the same area where Sophia is hurt, but it looks like it healed. It's right at the top of the rear leg. It is also about the same size, maybe a little eensy bit bigger. I'm wondering if the mats were pulling at the skin and caused the injury on both of them. Or maybe it was pulling and then on Sophia I knicked the mat/skin. I will have to keep this area trimmed, for sure. The upper left area of the photo is where I trimmed.
jul_312

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's even possible that she may have nipped herself trying to get at the mat if the mat was pulling on her skin. You may not have done anything at all!
mab0615

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if it was already infected, pus would keep forming. It doesn't look like it went into the dermal area of the skin meaning it's a superficial cut. If you do have betadine (or something simular), I'd put a little on and watch it.
VoodooJoint
Chupacabra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 50/50 mix of Listerine (or comperable) and water make a very good flushing agent that is fairly safe even if they lick at it. I have used it on many animals with good results. Put it in a squeeze or squirt bottle and flush the wound several times a day.

I can't be certain about the "cottage cheese" stuff. It could be pus as rabbit pus is VERY thick - almost like toothpaste. Puss can form quickly in a rabbit when a cut first happens as the white blood cells rush to the site to try to fix the problem; rabbit skin is so fragile and, as I say "shocky" a small cut can suddenly react like a major wound. Anyway, often after the first occurance of "shock pus" it rarely will keep repeating if the rabbit is healthy and the cut is kept clean. It's normally only abcesses, where the infection is kept under the skin, where reoccurance happens.

You did a great job trimming down that fur. You may want to trim even more back to keep the surrounding hair from folding over into the wound.

As far as the rash like thing on the other rabbit. It looks like a moisture rash from the mat. It should heal on it's own now that the mat is gone. You can spritze some of the Listerine mixture on it as well if you just want to be sure. It wouldn't make it worse. You can also try a good, as natural as possible, diaper rash ointment on it. Boudreaux's Butt Paste brand is excellect - no, I'm not making it up. It's a miracle balm if you can find it.
cavykatie
fweep fweep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up trimming the fur around the but very closely and the rest of the fur to about an inch on both bunnies. Poor things look so small now, haha. I figured if I keep the bum area shorter, I can control the matting better. Sophia's wound has almost completely closed up. I pulled at it a little to check for pus, but all that came out was clear liquid. So, I will keep an eye on it to make sure no abcess forms. Here it is:

The red is really just two lines of red together, like a scab.
jul_312

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, it really looks much better. But I think I would still try and trim the fur down a little more. It looks like there is still some fur that could get into the would and get matted there.

If you have a pair of hair clippers, you could VERY CAREFULLY use them to trim it down. Bunny skin is sooooo thin (I'm still a little asleep, so not sure that's the word I really want to use, but can't think of any other!! lol) it would be easy to nick it, but the closer the fur is clipped the better off in the end. At least that's what I do.
VoodooJoint
Chupacabra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks so much better already. You are doing a great job. I can see normal granulation tissue forning and the edges are a healthy pink, not red that would indicate infection.

Sophia should be back to normal in no time.
mab0615

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's Sophia doing?
cavykatie
fweep fweep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking. She is doing just fine. Her cut has closed and there is a small scab. She is acting fine and is even doing "bouncing binkies" or whatever you call that, haha.